The processing of personal data also includes ‘sharing’ or‘disclosing’ it. This can be either internally within your business or externally to a third party.
If you feel that you need to share or if you are asked to then you need to ensure that it is done so in accordance with the law. You need to ask yourself a number of questions such as:
- What is the sharing meant to achieve?
- What are the potential benefits/ risks to individuals and/or society of sharing or not sharing?
- Is the sharing proportionate to the issue you are addressing?
- Could the objective be achieved without sharing personal data?
- Do you have the power to share?
- Do you have a data sharing agreement in place?
If you share information otherwise than in accordance with the law then you could be investigated and fined by the Information Commissioner. You can also face claims for compensation from the individual concerned.
We can answer your questions regarding sharing or disclosure of information and review or draft data sharing agreements so as to help you comply with the law.
If you require further advice please contact us.